About Disabled Facilities Grants

The rules for Disabled Facilities Grants can be quite complicated, but here’s what you need to know.

The grant is for people with a permanent disability of any sort, including physical disabilities, learning disabilities, sensory impairments and mental illness.

The grant can pay for a range of adaptations including:

Your Council will assess what you need and whether your home is suitable to be adapted.

You can ask an agent to help you with the process. For a list of approved Home Improvement Agencies check out www.findmyhia.org.uk.

If there’s a long waiting list for an assessment ask if you can use a private Occupational Therapist and include the cost in your grant application.

The DFG is means tested, so the more income you have the less grant your likely to get unless the adaptations are for a disabled child or you receive one of the following benefits in which case it doesn’t apply:

The maximum grant you can normally get is £30,000, although if you need more your Council must consider your particular circumstances. The average grant is around £8,000.

You can apply for a grant whether you're a tenant or own your own home - but you must sign a certificate to say you intend to stay living there for at least five years.

If you’re an owner-occupier and get a grant of more than £5,000 some Councils will place a local land charge which means you may need to repay some of the grant if you move within 10 years.

Have a look at the Grants Ready Reckoner to see an estimate of grant applicants' contribution to cost of the works.

Not Happy?

If you are unhappy with how you have been treated by your Council you can complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.